GUI and UX design
F-Secure Lokki is an app that keeps track of the group of people for the members of the group.
It tracks the person’s location with the app installed on his/her device.
There is a difficult task to approach the geo-position tracking app because many people find it uncomfortable to give to somebody the data of their whereabouts. In the other hand, family members would like to stay connected and know that the loved ones are safe.
We will need to determine the ways to build this application, so it will be no obtrusive yet useful.
Users and audience
Stay-at-home people who want to do their day-to-day work without worrying about their relative’s whereabouts.
Go-to-work people, who want to go to work, leaving their relatives behind at home, and not worry about their whereabouts if they leave their home.
Scope and Constraints
The initial step of the structure procedure included client research to see how clients to act. I trust it’s imperative to get this data at an early stage all the while, before having a thought or prototyping.
The research involved affinity sorting, user interviews, persona creation and user story mapping. All this helped me to start the design.
We interviewed five people to validate the idea of such an app. Each interview took approximately 25 minutes and included topics to get to the core of users’ goals and pain points.
User Interview Core Findings
What we concluded is that all the people were scared about their kid getting lost, and 90% of them expressed a strong need to have such a tracker. Thus, validating the problem.
After interviewing the users, we wrote every observation on a sticky note.
Then we did Affinity Sorting by grouping similar kinds of comments to find patterns and themes in user behaviour and situations. It helped us create User Personas and User Story Maps, which enabled us to list out the features for MVP.
From these findings, we deduced that F- Secure Lokki MVP should
feature the following:
Relative’s live location
Definition of geofence areas (places)
First, we made paper wireframes, iterated to-and-from through the different versions, and finally digitalized one final version.
We tested the working prototype of wireframes with five users to get a measurement of effectiveness, efficiency and satisfaction. We gave the users three tasks each.
The users had a high impact on the design process. I learned that a lot of essential aspects go unnoticed and missed if we design without users.